Topic: Which gas brand gives you the best mileage?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline NixTheWiz

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • NixTheWiz's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Triumph Street Triple
  • Years Riding: 3
Which gas brand gives you the best mileage?
« on: 05/09/12 11:42PM »
I'm just wondering if gas brand makes a difference in mileage. I haven't really kept track with the mileage in my vehicles but my car seems to get about 2MPG more with Costco than with the United Oil gas near my house.

So what do you put in your vehicles and how does it affect mileage?
I could never love anyone like I love the road, because what I found on the road was myself.

Offline Dirty Monkey

• 599cc
  • Dirty Monkey's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2005 Triumph Daytona 650 RED! 2003 TTR 125 Supermoto
  • Years Riding: 1 season
Re: Which gas brand gives you the best mileage?
« Reply #1 on: 05/09/12 11:54PM »
I prefer using chevron, in all my cars.

Offline NixTheWiz

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • NixTheWiz's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/09/12 11:56PM »
I prefer using chevron, in all my cars.
Have you ever kept track of the mileage to measure how it stacks up to other brands? Or is it because your vehicle runs better with Chevron?
I could never love anyone like I love the road, because what I found on the road was myself.

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #3 on: 05/10/12 12:38AM »
 76 gas has me hooked , 2nd Chevron then Shell

Offline butterthegreat

• Crotch Rocket Fever!!!!!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • butterthegreat's Gallery
  • Come to the Darkside, We have cookies.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14
  • Years Riding: 6
« Reply #4 on: 05/10/12 01:01AM »
I have used Shell the entire lifetime of my ZX-14....on long trips I can get in the high 40's and low 50's.

Offline Droid

« Reply #5 on: 05/10/12 02:11AM »
Comparing mileage between two tanks is very difficult with any vehicle, unless you use the vehicle for the exact same repetitive trip in  the same weather (temperature, wind direction, etc) on a daily basis.   If you have that opportunity, test the brands in your own vehicles.  The difference in mileage between two brands of gas is going to be in the statistical noise. 

I like to put use brands on this list: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html , based on the fact that they use high quality additives.

Offline Dinoblade

• 599cc
  • Dinoblade's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • paintcolordesign.com
  • Bike: 2011 CBR1000rr & 2006 Stratoliner S
  • Years Riding: 35
« Reply #6 on: 05/10/12 05:03AM »
I have only used Chevron in all my vehicles. So I can't compare between other suppliers. All I can add is that I put high mileage on all of them with no engine problems.

oldman

« Reply #7 on: 05/10/12 06:36AM »
My pick-up gets 12.5 mpg when I purchase gas in Calif. When I went to Az. my gas milage went to 17.5 mpg??? The refinery is in Tucson, and it seems like their gas is much better than the gas in Calif.

Offline ocjimmy

• 749cc
  • ocjimmy's Gallery
  • Riding the K12RS
    • View Profile
    • So Cal BMW Motorrad Podcast
  • Bike: BMW K1200RS Blue and Red, BMW R1150RT-P (Ex-CHP), Speed Triple
  • Years Riding: "It's not the years... It's the Mileage" Dr. Jones
« Reply #8 on: 05/10/12 07:08AM »
Ok.  This can easily become a hellstorm....

The Key is that the station needs to be busy so their gas in their tanks does not sit.

The only real difference in mileage will come from pure gas or non-ethanol gas.  You will average about 15% more MPG with real gas than with E10 (10% Ethanol).

Sadly there are no pure gas stations in SoCal.

You can go to www.pure-gas.org to locate Pure-Gas fuel stations around the country. 

I have a house in Prescott, AZ.  I have a pure-gas station on the way.  All things being as equal as humanly possible I was able to come up with the figures personally ('09 MBZ C350).

This has been verified by many others as noted on the pure-gas website.

As far as brands or off brands.  I haven't used Arco in the past 20 years, but that may be more of a one-off with a bad tank then.

If you use premium unleaded (Many of you do).  Always go to a premium, top-teir station.  The reason is that most people who own vehicles that require Premium (MBZ, BMW, Etc.) always use top-tier gas.  the premium gas at Joe's gas at the corner will just sit and get stale while the ethanol will attract moisture.

Costco is very good gas.  They never have stale gas and they do use quality additives and fresh fuel filters.  It's just usually a drag to wait 20 minutes on a bike for the line to progress.

Also, I've been looking at all the manuals of my bikes (6 or 7...can't remember) and using the recommended fuel rating.  If the bike says 87, I use 87.  If the bike says 89, I use that.  and if the bike requires premium, That's what I use.  You don't get any better mileage or power with premium, it's just that certain engine/EFI compression settings are set for certain types of fuel.

Lastly, If you're doing a long-haul and you go to a Pilot/Love's/Zip/QT or other truck-stop stations, avoid the premium!  Those, in particular, tend to sit for a long time. 

If you're traveling away from Socal, use the pure-gas app to find a close station.  You will notice a difference almost immediately. 

Then you will realize how F-ed up our energy policy is that forces us to pay more for Ethanol that gives us less MPG.  You'll also begin to wonder why gas in CA is, on average, 40-50 higher than other states.  Then you'll get a first had look at where the greed in this country really lies.  Yup....  Surprise! it's not the oil companies....

Jimmy

Offline ocjimmy

• 749cc
  • ocjimmy's Gallery
  • Riding the K12RS
    • View Profile
    • So Cal BMW Motorrad Podcast
  • Bike: BMW K1200RS Blue and Red, BMW R1150RT-P (Ex-CHP), Speed Triple
  • Years Riding: "It's not the years... It's the Mileage" Dr. Jones
« Reply #9 on: 05/10/12 07:10AM »
My pick-up gets 12.5 mpg when I purchase gas in Calif. When I went to Az. my gas mileage went to 17.5 mpg??? The refinery is in Tucson, and it seems like their gas is much better than the gas in Calif.
Generally there is a lot less traffic in AZ and Tucson is also quite flat. 

You may have also been on Cruise Control which will always give you your best mileage possible.

Jimmy

Offline FlyingScotsman

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FlyingScotsman's Gallery
  • Auto Club Speeway 29Aug
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 R1 Blue 04 R6 Track
  • Years Riding: 20 YEARS
« Reply #10 on: 05/10/12 08:09AM »
After a daily commute of Costa Mesa to LAX on my 07 R1. The difference between ARCO and Chevron was I rode 20 miles more on a tank of Chevron  :17:    :42: :42: :42:

Offline Adrenaline6r

• 50cc
  • Adrenaline6r's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 ZX-6R
  • Years Riding: 9
« Reply #11 on: 05/10/12 09:25AM »
Depends on how I drive and the conditions. I ride an 07 ZX6r.

I use Shell or Chevron. Ride best with these gases. Have had bad experiences with Arco; sluggish throttle response.

"Night of awkwardness if far better than a night of loneliness"

Offline **CBR_DC**

Which gas brand gives you the best mileage?
« Reply #12 on: 05/10/12 10:04AM »
I use mobile because of the ease of the speedpass, I never have to get off my bike, and a couple times a year they do promotions for .15 cents off per gallon with the speedpass. My cars run just fine off it.

I prefer Costco gas(so much cheaper) but they are too out of my way.

Offline NixTheWiz

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • NixTheWiz's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05/10/12 11:11AM »
I do have a 76 gas station near my house but I prefer not going there. It's right next to the United Oil gas station and gets no traffic because everyone goes to the United Oil (cheapest in the area). I would imagine the 76 have a ton of water in their old gas.

Costco is the same price as Arco and United Oil. I prefer going there in off-peak hours. The wait can be ridiculous.

Offline chadbaldwin

• The (hanging) Chad
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • chadbaldwin's Gallery
  • Ortega Junkie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Triumph Daytona 675R; 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R Track Bike
  • Years Riding: yes
« Reply #14 on: 05/10/12 11:17AM »
I'm just wondering if gas brand makes a difference in mileage. I haven't really kept track with the mileage in my vehicles but my car seems to get about 2MPG more with Costco than with the United Oil gas near my house.

So what do you put in your vehicles and how does it affect mileage?

Doesn't make a difference in my opinion and if it does, I think it would be very small. I've heard tons of arguments on this subject. I have quite a few friends that drive gas tankers for a living, and all of them have told me it all comes from the same tank regardless of brand.

However, I've had Automotive Technology professors at school all tell me there are huge differences in the quality of the gas. For example, one teacher told me one reason Arco is cheaper is because they use more ethanol in their gas. Years ago, Arco got a bad rep for putting water in their gas, but this was only because of the high alcohol content and alcohol absorbs water.

A lot of people have told me it's all the same gas, but the different brands use their own concoctions for detergents that they put in the gas.

In my opinion, I figure better safe than sorry and I usually just stick to Chevron, Mobil, Shell and sometimes 76. Unless I'm on a weekend ride and the whole group stops at an Arco or a circle K or something. I'm not gonna go find a Shell station just to fill up.
« Last Edit: 05/10/12 11:30AM by chadbaldwin »

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 56 queries.

[email protected]
 Facebook